Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

American Woman...Get Away From Me

RELAX...this isn't an anti-American post.

When I was growing up, I took piano lessons. All my sibs did, although I did this the longest. I studied the standard "Royal Conservatory" cirriculum and was tested each year by the Conservatory. I had some talent (toot, toot) and enjoyed it most of the time. I'm not one of these people that can play anything by ear. I need music and I have to practice. I do have the ability to memorize stuff easily though, which was always a necessity for the RC exams.

But sometimes I didn't want to do it and most of the time I hated practicing. This would lead to a fight usually and I would always lose and would have to practice my prerequisite 1/2 hour a day. My Dad (an accompished guitarist who can't read a note) would always butter me up by telling my he loved hearing me play, so I would practice. Just the other night, we were watching America's Funniest Home Videos and there was a video of a little girl practicing her piano and crying while doing it. I turned to C and said, "I remember a few times like that as a kid". It's funny now.

There are ten grades of Royal Conservatory. The last two are to develop one into a teacher. I took seven. I was in high school by then and had a very busy schedule. My mother told me I was old enough to decide what I wanted to do and I chose sports. I regret "quitting" piano, but I still play sometimes when I visit my parents.

Now, as an adult, I take guitar lessons. I started a few years ago. Now, unlike when I was younger, I want to practice at least a 1/2 hour a day. My teacher is 19 and an AMAZING guitarist! He can play anything! I just give him a CD with a song I want to learn and he listens to it and plays it back almost perfectly!

But tonight is my last lesson until September...my choice. Since Noah's arrival I am having trouble either finding time or having the energy to practice. Every week on Wednesday, I practice before my lesson. I feel like I'm cramming for an exam...not exactly fair to my teacher and a waste of his & my time and my money.

I'm sad that I won't be going to lessons for a few months. But I have the summer to perfect American Woman...The Guess Who version (only the original will do).

1 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Blogger Jennefer said...

I remember the crying at the piano thing too. My siblings and I were all forced into piano lessons. However, unlike you I didn't have any talent. I woke up at 5:30AM every morning to practice. I did this for 4 years straight and I still can't play anything worth listening to. That is great that you have moved on to guitar. Guitars are fun because it is so portable. I understand not having time right now though. It is amazing how busy one little guy can make you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home