Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Letters to Noah...I should explain

If you are reading this blog for the first time I should explain "Letters to Noah". Even if you have been following since our "Russian to Noah's Place" blog, we haven't posted a Letter to Noah in some time.

We created Letters to Noah to chronicle the events since meeting our son. Our plan is to write them for your readding pleasure, but more importantly for his Life Book so he can read them when he is older. These letters are designed to tell some of his life story. I am going to add in the previous ones written...I'd love to link them to our old site, but they've changed and you would need a password...it's all very complicated, so I will attach them here and write more (I promise).


Letters to Noah: A Miracle Phone Call

Day 1: Monday, February 27, 2006

This was a typical Monday...both Mommy & Daddy had lots to do and a busy day at work ahead of us.

At about 10:15 AM Mommy received a phone call from Dr. K who is a colleague of Mommy's doctor, Dr. J. He introduced himself and started telling me about a patient who was going to deliver a baby that day. His patient had an adoption plan for her baby. Dr. K had been told about Mommy & Daddy's adoption plans (to Russia) and asked if we were interested in adopting his patient's baby.

Wow! What a way to start my day. Mommy was so excited and immediately said yes, even though she hadn't talked to Daddy yet. I was pretty sure he would say YES too!

Doctor: I am a colleague of Dr. J (Mary's family doctor). Have you spoken with her in the past few days.

Mommy: No. I had just been to see my doctor a few months earlier and had some blood work done...was there something wrong???

Doctor: I have a patient in my office right now who is due to deliver today and wants to place her baby for adoption. Dr. J told me you and your husband are pursuing an international adoption. Would you be interested in a domestic placement? I can't quite describe the euphoria. My mind is racing.

Mommy: Yes. I haven't asked my husband, but yes..we're interested.

Doctor: I guess I should have asked if you were sitting down before I sprang that on you. We both laugh...I had been sitting...I wonder if I would have fallen down if I had not.

Mommy was so excited as the Dr. told me what I had to do next. I was taking notes so I wouldn't forget anything. I didn't ask any logical questions...actually I think the only question I asked is 'what do I do now?' I didn't know where you were going to be born, how far along the birth mom was or anything else. I guess I was in shock! We decided that our adoption practioner, Sandra, would contact him and we would get the ball rolling. What a way to start the day!

I immediately called Daddy. I had trouble getting a hold of him. First I tried his office phone. There was no answer, so I tried his cell phone...no answer. I called his pager him...no return call. I tried the office phone again, still no answer, so I dialed through to reception and had him paged. He was not answering the page, so I left a message for him to call me. I wanted so badly to talk to him and tell him our exciting news.

I thought I had better call Sandra to start our adoption. She answered her phone. Mommy was very relieved! I told her about my call with the Doctor. She was so excited too. There were so many things up in the air, things could change as quickly as they had happened. She was going to call the Doctor and the Lawyer and start our adoption.

Finally Daddy called me back! We were both so excited! We couldn't believe it! Just the day before we were planning a trip south and costing out airline tickets to Russia. Life has a funny way of working out.

All day, Mommy was on the phone with Sandra, Daddy and our new lawyer. I got absolutely no work done. I couldn't focus. I was imagining my son...even though at this time you hadn't been born and we didn't know if you were a boy or girl. I guess, I've thinking about a son for so long that my thoughts were automatic.

Later in the day, Sandra called to say that Daddy & I would need a "profile" for the birth mom to review. We had never done one because we hadn't pursue a domestic placement. We didn't even know where to start and we had to have it done for the following day!!! Luckily, Sandra was able to fax me a couple of samples. Daddy & I left early from work to get started...little did we know that leaving work early was going to be a trend that week.

When we met at home, we hugged...a long, happy hug, I cried (tears of joy). We were so blessed to have gotten this call.

We were both recounting the day, as we mixed ourselves a celebratory drink and started on our profile. It took about 5 hours to complete, although we ended up touching it up the next day. I think typically, you would spend more time on such an important document, but time was not on our side and we had a great inspiration to get it done!!!

We finally got to bed, but at about 2 AM we both took a gravol to help us sleep...the beginning of our sleepless nights. I dreamt all night about our baby, so did Daddy.

What would tomorrow bring...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home