Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Some of Life's Luxuries

It's so easy to take the simplest things for granted. Since N has arrived and especially since C went back to work, it is interesting what I now find to be a luxury. Sure going out to dinner to a nice restaurant or going to a concert or to a jazz club in TO are still luxuries...MAJOR luxuries.

Now the things I used to take for granted have become the REAL luxuries in life. For instance, taking a shower (when I want) is a real feat these days. Now the shower is a rushed experience during nap or showering with the door open so N can see me. He's becoming aware of his environment and doesn't like when he can't see me for a few minutes at a time. It's funny, because when I was growing up my father was always harping that I should be able to take a shower in 8 minutes...don't ask me why 8. I always secretly joked with my sibs that he could do that because he didn't have any hair. But, now I would make him proud. Eight minutes is child's play!

Out of milk, no problem. I'll just scoot out the the store and get some...NOT! Scooting out to the store requires careful strategic planning and has to be timed between naps or feedings. Going to get "just milk" is a major undertaking. So, if you're going to the grocery store with an infant, you better make it worth while and get more than milk.

SLEEP...need I say more!

I am not complaining...although it may seem that way. I would not change my life for the world. I love my son and every minute with him. Our life has taken an major paradigm shift. I not only need to have his day planned and scheduled, but my own too! Would I love to take a fifteen minute hot shower (with the door closed) or scoot out to the store to check out a sale or sleep when I want...sure...and when C is home on the weekend, we are able to do just that.

I can wait 5 days to have a little luxury...because missing out on a long shower, a hot sale or a few extra Z's is hugely outweighed by the gorgeous little creature that God has given us!













Now that's perspective!

2 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Blogger absolutegray said...

Mary-your son is adorable. I love reading adoption stories. What a great story! I am considering both international and domestic adoption now. Enjoy every minute of your son. Her is my blog site if you want to check it out-http://absolutegray.blogspot.com

 
At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a cute picture! He is growing so big!

You can't understand these life adjustments until you actually experience them for yourself. It is true that children turn your life upside down. I actually brought my kids in the bathtub with me (when they were babies)while I showered in there- I covered them with an umbrella. Crazy, but it worked.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home